Iran has also restarted negotiations with six world powers over the broader dimensions of its nuclear program and the sides have agreed to meet again in Baghdad on May 23.
Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said last week that he was optimistic that the talks with United States, Russia, China, Germany, France and Britain would make progress.
Washington and its allies believe Tehran is working on developing nuclear bombs. Tehran insists its activities have only civilian energy purposes and has refused to stop enriching uranium, despite a slew of sanctions.
"We (will) never stop enrichment activities in Iran," Soltanieh said, describing it as an inalienable right.
He declined to comment however on Western demands that Iran halt the higher-grade enrichment, to a fissile concentration of 20 percent, it began in 2010 and has since sharply expanded, shortening the time needed for any nuclear weapons breakout.
The U.N. Security Council has demanded that Iran suspend all enrichment activity but Western diplomats have indicated the immediate priority is to get it to halt the higher-grade work.
Many analysts say it will only be possible to find a negotiated solution to the long-running row if both sides compromise: Iran would be allowed to continue some lower-level enrichment if it accepts more intrusive U.N. inspections.
"There is a growing recognition that zero enrichment is not a feasible solution," said Mark Fitzpatrick, a director of the International Institute for Strategic Studies think-tank.
(Editing by Mark Heinrich)
- Link this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Email
- Reprints
0 comments:
Post a Comment